Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars - Book Talk.


So, Finally this amazing book and I met, We did when I was *surprise* at the States and well, the moment I started reading, I couldn't stop. I read most of it in the plane back home, which was indescribably pleasing; I think that being thirty thousand miles above the ground, in the night, with stars looking like the most shimmery glitter in the sky, and just one light on; the one above my seat, is the best environment to read. Even the turbulences kind of synched with the story as I read it. This place was not the air, nor the earth, it was this amazing third place where I felt timeless and safe. (Note: I have a turbulence fear, but while reading, it felt so peaceful that I felt no fear at all.)

Anyways, this is not another post about me traveling, I swear! From now on this will be as the title says- a book talk, with my favorite quotes and moments in the book. If you haven't read the book or watched the movie, I don't think you should continue reading this right now, I don't want to mess up the story to anyone.
Start
I've been close to a few cancer cases in my closest family, some of them lost, and luckily the rest of them victorious. I've known the pain of losing someone in the hands of the mentioned disease, the fear of ever going through it again, and it has crossed my mind being in their place. Honestly I think most of people have been through this feelings. I'm very sensitive to cancer stories, a lot of people are.

But The Fault in Our Stars this isn't just a cancer story, it is a LIFE story, and it takes a place on philosophical wonders every human faces, This story decides that life should be appreciated and lived in the best way we can. Because there's "Nothing to be gained by worrying between then and now"


Hazel Grace begins being an unenthusiastic girl distant from the world, living her cancer reality in a very rational and accepting position. She was never obsessed with leaving a mark in the world, mostly she was worried of leaving a wound in the people she loved. She cares of other people's feelings, but at the same time isn't afraid of telling the truth in the kindest way harsh things can be. Then she meets Augustus Waters, who is a complete character. He introduces himself to support group as a survivor of Osteosarcoma, the result of removing most of  his right leg. He loves metaphors, symbols, signs, and is very talented with words, which makes him very interesting. He is a social, extrovert guy, who wants to make an statement in the world.



"Maybe Okay can be our Always"

The flirting between this two begins at first sight, He fears oblivion, She doesn't care about it, they have too much to learn from each other. Hazel tries to keep things casual, trying to deny her attraction from the very start, but he likes her and, thanks to his remarkable personality, gets her.


They get to go to Amsterdam to meet Peter Van Houten. Despite the disappointment this author is, they have an amazing adventure drinking stars, enjoying the city and their love with no boundaries. But when places switch, and Augustus day's countdown begins, It's heart breaking. And in the downfall you realize that life is meant to be lived, doing the things you want to do, sharing with the people you love fearlessly, she loved him and she didn't wanted it to be different even if the days were counted, and she will love him even when he left.

The letters in the book are delightful, I keep re-reading the letter between the guys and Van Houten,  where you can see the pretentious but smart writing from Peter, and then the Eulogy from Hazel to Gus, and from Gus to Hazel, Those are like love letters to me. If you haven't, go read them please.

As every case, the book is more complete than the movie. I wish they had an interest matter in Caroline Mathers (God, I wanted to say it), because her story is important in Hazel's realization of both strengthening boundaries between she and Gus, but then wreck them as he assures: "It would be a pleasure to have my heart broken by you". The movie doesn't involve Kaitlyn in any way, I think her "I'd ride that one-legged pony all the way around the corral." Comment was worth an appearance, right? I know, the movie would have been like 10 hours long, but still.
The books is bolder, is way more raw than the movie and you get to know better the mind of Hazel Grace, specially in the "Augustus downfall" which I think wasn't as charming as the movie pictures it.

I love it how there are small stories in between the storyline, and I like to think that the book itself is a book Hazel wrote after Augustus left, Maybe because he complimented her writing skills, and didn't wanted their love story to die after all (?).


'You gave me a forever within the numbered days'

As for me, I've discovered an amazing writer, I'll keep my eyes on John Green's work for more fictions that change my perception of reality. Next stop: Looking for Alaska.



Xo, Carolina.

Get more pretty content, follow me around!

Obtén más contenido, sígueme!!
Facebook  |   Twitter   |   Instagram  |  Bloglovin

8 comments: